Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday 2011...

Can't believe it's been a year already since my first Ash Wednesday experience...but here we are again. This has been an interesting year to say the least. I thought last year's service was amazing...but after all I've been thru this year...tonight's service was very special to me. Nolan was not able to attend as he's out of town...but Chase and Paige came with me (Taylor was at Cheer Clinic). Ash Wednesday is the beginning of the Lent Season leading up to Easter. It symbolizes the dying of the parts of our inner self that take us further from God, and the burning (of the ashes) symbolizes a cleansing of our spirit and a coming back to God. As for giving up something for Lent...well last year I gave up beer...yeah, don't laugh, but it really was hard...cause I do enjoy a beer here and there. This year, I'm giving up "sweets" and oh boy do I love my sweets...but the idea of giving up something for Lent is when we give up part of us...then there's more room for God. And while this isn't really giving up...I am really trying hard for all of us to have dinner together at the table. For some time, we've just been making a plate then everyone going their separate directions...and I want/need to connect with the kids and them with us. So, we've been doing pretty good so far...turning off the tv and really enjoying each other's company while having our evening meal.
Lent has officially begun...

No comments: