Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Beautiful day in the neighborhood...

Well, I guess that's Mr. Roger's line, but...wow...what a beautiful morning! In fact, it was so nice after I walked the kids to the bus stop that I decided to do my walk outside today. Fortunately for me, the McCulloch Trail is exactly 2 miles long...so there and back is my 4 miles. However...there were a "few" hills (not something I'm used to walking on my treadmill, LOL as I never adjust the incline). Hmmmm...*note to self* next time, park at Sweetwater (bottom of hill) instead of golf course (top of hill). Yeah, I had never walked the full trail til today and that's when I realized that mile 1 is relatively flat (few small hills)...then mile 2 is almost all downhill...so, after walking two miles, I had to turn around and walk 1 mile completely uphill. Boy, I could really feel it in my hamstrings and butt. I've heard of "buns of steel"...but heck...if I keep walking this trail, I'm gonna have "buns of titanium" LOL! Lesson learned...

Other than that...it was a really refreshing walk! It was a mild 45 degrees...not a cloud in the sky...and for once, the prairie winds were not blowing, LOL. My tunes were blasting on my iPod...the warm sun shining on my face, surrounded by the majestic Rocky Mountains (many like Pike's Peak still snow capped...what a difference a few thousand feet makes) and the cool air breezing past my body as I briskly walked the trail! Came home and had a yummy breakfast of raisin bread toast with light cream cheese and a bowl of fresh blueberries! My brother's house is exactly 3 miles from mine...so I might walk to his house on Saturday morning for coffee!

Lord knows I love my treadmill, but it's nice to be outside once in a while too

No comments: