Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A wonderful new discovery...



Sunbutter!! Like peanut butter, only better! I was doing some "googling" on peanut allergies as our kids' elementary school has become completely "nut free"...if only they would ban the "real" nuts, LOL...anyway, the information/statistics that I found were truly amazing. Some 3.3 million people suffer from "nut" allergies, yet less than 150 people die annually from "nut" reactions. I think I even read somewhere that more people are attacked by sharks and struck by lightening than suffer a fatal nut reaction. The stories just went on and on and on...While I'm not completely heartless (though a bit cynical at times), I can understand parents with kids who have nut allergies being concerned for their child...however, I'm beginning to wonder if this craze of elliminating all nuts and providing "nut free" schools hasn't maybe gone a little outer limits here. I mean what about children with other allergies?? You don't see school's going "milk free" or "wheat free"...

I can understand parents, students, teachers, classmates and even schools in general taking reasonable precautions such as providing a "nut free" table in the cafeteria (to avoid cross contamination)...having students wash hands before and after eating (which they should do anyway), etc...but to make the entire school "nut free" just seems extreme to me. I happen to have a nephew who's allergic to peanuts (since he was a toddler...he's now almost 21)...I think my sister took reasonable measures (Texas Roadhouse was always out of the picture since their floors and tables are littered with peanuts and peanut shells). When preparing foods that called for nuts...she would make a small amount for him before adding nuts, etc...seemed reasonable. I mean if schools are going to go "nut free" then next movie theaters, malls, airplanes, hotels, etc...will have to follow suit. Then where will it end? Will we soon be living in a "nut free" world? It seems the world is trying to accomodate those with special diets rather than those with special diets trying to adapt to the world. I'm sure eventually someone will complain enough about TRH til they place a ban on one of their biggest draws: peanuts. Really...isn't it more about common sense? I mean, if you're allergic to peanuts, do NOT go to Texas Road House for dinner, nuff said.

I can see in daycare, preschool and even kindergarten situations remaining nut free as small kids are always touching everything and putting their hands in their mouths, etc...but by 1st, 2nd grade, I think kids are old enough to be instructed and taught how to deal with this issue (whether it's the child that's allergic or the fellow students).

Anyway, while reading all this info I came across many references to Sunbutter as an alternative to peanut butter. I have to admit I was intrigued...so tonight after Paige's dance, since we were in town, I decided to run over to the Vitamin Cottage/health foods store to see if I could find some Sunbutter. Indeed I did. Paige and I had an interesting conversation about "butters". I explained to her that there are many types of "butters". Peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, soy butter, etc...and that the Sunbutter was actually made from sunflower seeds. Of course when we got home, I grabbed a couple spoons and we gave it a taste. To my surprise, it really tasted yummy. So now...once again, they may take an American favorite to school. I'm curious to see how it will taste with jelly (though personally, I like my peanut butter with honey).

There. I'm doing my part to keep not only the school happy, but my kids happy too! I've heard that Sunbutter cookies are delicious, LOL!!

No comments: