Friday, April 10, 2009

Jack's Mannequin tonight!!



Well...tonight's the night!! Yay...finally! Seems like I've been waiting forever for this concert. I am, however...a little apprehensive about going back to the Fillmore after the "mosh pit" experience there. Uh yeah, I can laugh about this now, but at the time...it was pure insanity, seriously having been to hundreds of concerts all my life, I had never witnessed such a calamity. What's even crazier is that I really don't think that Jack's Mannequin (aka: piano band) is the type of band or music to elicit a mosh pit response and in fact, it wasn't even JM that was performing when the whole mosh thing broke out. The band (one of the opening acts), whose name escapes me (I think I probably just blocked it out from PTMPS or Post Traumatic Mosh Pit Syndrome, LOL) was about as opposite of JM as could possibly be. Some kind of acid rock screamers...horrible! And really, since I'm on the topic of these mosh pits...I'm sorry, but I just don't "get it"! What is fun about slamming into people, throwing things at others, and just plain being "obnoxious" while others are actually trying to enjoy the music/performance. IDK...I will never understand it.

Anyway...the Fillmore Auditorium (downtown Denver) was an old skating rink (from the early 1900s) which has been transformed into many things over the years including the concert venue that it is today. It has a large wood floor (which is general addmission) and there is no seats, it's all standing room (or moshing room) only. There are a limited number of table seating (which we have), but I am still nervous about how that's going to work (like are the tables general admission in and of themselves). The table tickets were a little more expensive, but I knew Nolan wouldn't even consider going back there if we had to stand on the floor. So, I guess we'll see.

We're going with Mike (my surrogate son) and Crazy Natalie (that should be interesting). Haven't even seen Natalie for almost a year. She didn't come by when Jim was here for xmas...but she was here a lot when Jim and Steph came home last May for our anniversary. Anyway, she love's JM and has also seen them a few times...the last time being last November when they were at the Bluebird theater in Denver. I was going to get tickets to that concert, but after looking at it thru ticketmaster, the next time I went back to buy tickets, they were sold out. I'm hoping since JM was just in Denver, that "maybe" it won't be jam packed.

Anyway...full report to follow this weekend. Wish us luck, LOL!! I will also have to write about Andrew McMahon. He is the singer/song writer/creator of JM...and in his incredibly young life, he has an insight on life that many people never have their entire lives. He's got a pretty amazing story having just recently survived leukemia...he's really an amazing person and inspiration.

No comments: